FREE Super Fruits Eye Balm with $130 or more purchase

Thursday 14 July 2011

Get Sunset Coral Eyes with MAC!

I've always been a fan of eye makeup looks that emulate the vibrant, ethereal tones of a summer sunset: warm golds, oranges, purples and reds. I've attempted such looks on several occasions and while I've usually been happy with them, I recognize that such vivid colour combinations might not be right for everyone. Below, I attempted to create a slightly more subdued, wearable sunset-inspired eye makeup look using MAC eye products. The look is still colourful, no doubt, but hopefully some of you will be inspired to give it a try!

Here's the final look! I'll break it down step-by-step below :)


Sunset Eyeshadow Look using MAC products


To start the eye look, I applied MAC's Paint Pot in Rubenesque ($20 CAD at MAC stores and counters) as a base over my lid and crease. Rubenesque is a gorgeous peachy-pinky gold shade and its cream-to-powder formula works as a primer that adds its own colour and also brightens any shades applied on top. Here's what it looks like swatched on my hand:

Swatch of MAC Rubenesque Paint Pot

Next, I applied MAC Eyeshadow in Motif ($17.50 CAD) all over the lid, on top of the Rubenesque Paint Pot. Motif is a unique golden yellow shade with pink shimmer, and is pictured below. After that, I applied MAC Eyeshadow in Paradisco, a shimmery coral colour, on the outer corner of my eyes, blending it into Motif. Paradisco is also pictured below, on the left.

MAC Eyeshadows in (L) Paradisco and (R) Motif, in a palette by E.L.F.

After this, I wanted to apply a bit of a darker shade to the crease to add some depth to the look. Also, I tend not to like looks that use only orange and reddish colours, as they can leave eyes looking bloodshot if not done carefully. I chose MAC's Star Violet Eyeshadow, a browny-plum with subtle gold shimmer. A perfect shade to anchor the look while sticking to the sunset theme!


MAC Star Violet Eyeshadow

Swatches of Star Violet and Rubenesque side by side

I finished off with some black liquid liner and waterproof mascara and- ta da!- the final look!




Closeup of the final eye look

And here's what it looked like in the context of a whole face of makeup:


The final look! Including MAC Frankly Scarlett Blush and a combination of MAC Impassioned Lipstick and NARS Baroque Velvet Gloss Pencil on Lips

I hope you enjoyed reading this and that it may have inspired you to create some colourful, dusky eyes of your own. Let me know if you have any questions about the techniques or colours used. I'm also always open to feedback and suggestions about any of the looks featured in my posts. Always look forward to your comments! :)

6 comments:

  1. I passed this along to a friend of mine who's trying to do the same thing, but with shades of blue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! Thanks, Mike. I appreciate you spreading the word :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennnnn...
    I am loving this!
    JMF (initials)

    ReplyDelete

All of your lovely comments make my day! Thanks for taking the time to share your musings, ideas, and opinions. Feel free to leave a link to your blog- I'd be happy to check it out :)