FREE Super Fruits Eye Balm with $130 or more purchase

Monday 21 November 2011

30 Days of Lipstick, Day 11: Guerlain Rouge Automatique in Coque D'Or

As some of you have probably noticed, I haven't been super conscientious about my 30 Days of Lipstick challenge over the past week or so. Life happens and things get busy, but luckily I've still made efforts to wear, photograph, and review a variety of the lipsticks in my stash over the previous days- now I just have to catch up with my entries!

For Day 11 (last Friday), I chose a poppy red to commemorate the spirit of Remembrance Day. The lipstick I donned was Guerlain's Rouge Automatique in #120 Coque D'Or. Guerlain's Rouge Automatique line is rather pricey (at nearly $40 each, at Sephora, The Bay, and Holt Renfrew), but I was lucky enough to score a mini version in a makeup swap!

 
 
Guerlain Rouge Automatique Lipstick Sample

As you can see from the picture above, Rouge Automatiques offer the novelty of a one-handed application. All you have to do is slide down the switch, and the lipstick emerges from the top. Pretty neat! Unfortunately, the mini size I received does not feature this fun exterior, but is gilded and sleek nonetheless:


Guerlain Rouge Automatique Mini Lipstick: Quite reflective!

Coque D'Or is a lovely poppy red (neutral-warm toned) with subtle gold shimmer. It offers a lightweight comfortable texture, a great colour payoff, and a non-drying formula. Here's a picture of it in the tube:


Guerlain Rouge Automatique Mini in Coque D'Or #120

And here are a few pictures of me wearing it!


Me wearing Guerlain Rouge Automatique in #120 Coque D'Or

With flash (which really shows off the gold shimmer!)




The Verdict

Pros:
  • Gorgeous red shade that should be flattering on nearly all skin tones
  • The formula is lightweight and comfortable to wear!
  • Does not dry out lips
  • Highly pigmented- a little goes a long way!
  • Luxurious packaging

Cons:
  • Very pricey!
  • Not necessarily and everyday shade, though I've been wearing it often!

Overall, I've been absolutely loving this lipstick! The shade of red is quite flattering, and gives a sophisticated, slightly retro look without being overpowering. The texture is a pleasure on the lips, and the packaging can't be beat- even the mini packaging mine comes in! The only thing that would prevent me from purchasing another Rouge Automatique is the price, but if budget allows in the future, I'll be picking up another one of these beauties down the line :)

Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. The shade looks absolutely astounding on you. I've been looking for the most pale red I can find. Maybe this is it! Thanks so much for you blog.

    ReplyDelete

All of your lovely comments make my day! Thanks for taking the time to share your musings, ideas, and opinions. Feel free to leave a link to your blog- I'd be happy to check it out :)