The collection offers all of the drama and elegance that Karl Lagerfeld brings to the table, but with the distinct eccentric, Japanese influence that is the cornerstone of the Shu Uemura brand. The "mascot" of the collection is the "Mon Shu Girl", who Lagerfeld created to represent both his own personal style (the white shirt and black tie are pretty iconic) as well as the whimsical side of Japanese pop culture and cartoon imagery. Adorable and endearing, she is featured graphically on the packaging and has inspired the look of the models for the campaign.
Here's a photo of the collection display at the counter:
And a selection of the collection's products in a display case. The puppet is so adorable!
There was collection-related imagery all around the counter. I couldn't take my eyes of the vibrant colours and dramatic graphics.
I was lucky to work with the lovely Danielle, who not only did my makeup but also gave me a facial using key products from their Red Juvenus skin care line. I received the Red Juvenus Vitalizing Retexturizing Cream as a free gift during the summer event and have been absolutely loving it as a night cream. After the facial my skin was totally glowing and ready to be painted!
Here are a couple pictures of the array of products Danielle used on my skin:
We played with so many lovely goodies!
The key products she used for the makeover were:
- Tsuya UV Under base Youthful Radiance Mousse (primer)
- Skin Architect Smoothing Fluid Foundation #784
- Powder Foundation #365 (to set foundation)
- Glow On Blush M521 (as a neutral wash all over the cheeks)
- Glow On Blush in Coral Rose (from the Precious Bordeaux Eye and Cheek Palette, part of the Karl Lagerfeld Holiday collection, on the apples of cheeks)
- Brow Pencil Hard Formula in 03 Brown topped with Eye Shadow in M 851 Soft Brown
- Eyebrow Manicure in Honey Glaze
- Eye Shadow in IR 911 as a highlight on cheekbones, lid, and brow bones
- Mix of the brown and purple eye shadow shades from the Precious Bordeaux Eye and Cheek Palette
- Painting Liners in Brown (on upper lid) and Black (in the waterline)
- Ultimate Expression Mascara in Black
- Rouge Unlimited lipstick in Parisienne Pink (from the Karl Lagerfeld Holiday collection)
And here are a couple pictures of the finished look! As you can see, we decided on smoky eyes, glowy skin, and subtle, shimmery pink lips. I loved it! The black cream liner on the waterline really added a sultry feel to the eye that made me feel ultra-glam. We joked that I was only going out for dinner after this, but I promised I'd be the fiercest girl in the pizzeria :)
I bought a few goodies after the makeover, and part of my free gift was this adorable tote. It really sums up the fun aesthetic of the collection; I kinda want to carry it everywhere!
As an extra helpful touch, Danielle filled out a face chart of all of the products used in the makeover. She even used the eye shadows from the palette to re-create the eye look on paper. A nice (sparkly) souvenir!
After I left Holt Renfrew I wanted to take a few more photos of the look, so I was faced with the dorky task of doing so in crowded shopping areas during rush hour. I couldn't tell if the people walking by thought I was a nerd or a complete narcissist ("It's for a beauty website!", I wanted to scream), but I got a few decent shots in various lighting:
Overall, I had an excellent experience at the event. The collection was so stunning (I had to restrain myself from snatching it all up!) and I left feeling truly pampered and ready to party! Since there was no party, I settled for bringing a bit of glam to the pizza shop. Spinach and goat cheese pizza tastes extra delicious when you look fabulous ;)