Monday, 18 March 2013

Look of the Day: Soft Smokey

Hey, everyone! First off, I wanted to thank you for all the kind comments on my Adele Oscars makeup tutorial. It was so fun creating the look and putting the tutorial together, so I'm happy that you enjoyed it! Your kind words always means so much!

Also, if you haven't seen yet, you can now follow me on Facebook! You can check out the page here and give it a "Like" if you like :) And if you're being affected by the Google Reader shut-down, come on over and follow me via Bloglovin'. You can do it here or via the button on the right!

Today's post features a look that I don't wear often, a smokey eye. I feel the most comfortable with a lighter shade on my lid and a darker shade to contour the crease. And I wear that style of eye makeup A LOT. Like a makeup uniform. So for me, a smoky eye is a bit of a departure. But once in a while I'm inspired to try something different and, in this case, I'm so glad I did!


For this version of a smokey eye, I opted for a softer, wearable look that doesn't have to be reserved for a night out on the town (though it would look great out on the town as well!). I only used 3 products to create the smokey effect: a creamy black eyeliner with green-gold shimmer as a base near the lashes and on the lid (MAC Black Line Pearlglide Intense Eyeliner), a mid-tone brown eye shadow blended into the black liner and upwards (brown shade from the Clinique Colour Surge Duo in Like Mink) and a shimmery golden ivory as a highlight (Bare Escentuals Glimmer in Queen Phyllis). This was the result:


I really surprised myself at how wearable this look was! I felt quite sultry, yet not over-the-top. It doesn't hurt that I paired the smokey eye with my favourite blush ever, NARS Deep Throat and my go-to balm for rosy lips, Bonne Bell Dr. Pepper Lipsmacker

Here is a full list of what I used!


The Breakdown:

F
oundation: Revlon ColourStay Liquid Foundation (Combination/Oily Formula) in Buff

Concealer: MAC Select Cover-Up in NC20
Powder: Hard Candy Welcome Matte Mattifying Translucent Powder
Bronzer: Bourjois Delice de Poudre Bronzing Powder #51
Blush: NARS Powder Blush in Deep Throat
Highlighter: Bare Escentuals Glimmer in Queen Phyllis


Brows: Anastasia Brow Powder Duo in Ash Blonde
Primer: Urban Decay Primer Potion in Original
Eye Shadows: MAC Black Line Pearlglide Intense Eyeliner (as base, close to lashes and blended up), brown shade from Clinique Colour Surge Eye Shadow Duo in Like Mink (blended into MAC Black Line and up to crease), and Bare Escentuals Queen Phyllis Glimmer (blended into Like Mink up to brow bone and on inner corners of the eye)

Mascara: Clinique Lash Doubling in Black

Lips: Bonne Belle Lipsmacker Dr. Pepper flavour



And a few more shots of the look:






So this is a look that I'll definitely be wearing more often now. It has allowed me to embrace the smokey eye! Is this a look you would wear? What are some of your favourite products for creating a smokey eye?

Thanks for reading! xoxo

56 comments:

  1. This looks beautiful! I'm like you and don't wear smokey eyeshadows that much. My favourite colours for smokey eyes are MAC Cranberry and Greensmoke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Christine! I like your choices as well- Cranberry is currently on my wishlist :)

      Delete
  2. This is a beautiful smokey eye, it looks like it will be really wearable for the day time! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Steff! Yeah, it was surprisingly wearable, so I plan to wear the look more often :)

      Delete
  3. You rock honey,loooove this!
    xx
    B.
    http://www.beeswonderland.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love smoky eyes and this is really beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
  5. pretty smokey eye! I'm so rubbish at eye shadow I really want to try and practice more!

    500daysoffashion.blogspot.com
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah! Eye shadow takes practice for sure, but this look was surprisingly easy. And at least practicing is fun :)

      Delete
  6. This is actually really cool look!!:)
    http://unkownrandomfashionblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like this one! Another one I should recreate :)

    I usually go for quads/palettes that have some color coordination or loose MAC eyeshadows when I go smokey. My favorite for a neutral warm smokey is of course the Naked palette..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Isabelle! Glad I could inspire you to try this out :) And I'm palette-crazy as well. My custom-made MAC palettes are my favourite, but I'll probably break down and get the Naked palettes sooner or later :)

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Aww, thanks so much, Crystal, for the kind words and for stopping by! xo

      Delete
  9. Hi this is a lovely blog honey I think we should follow on GFC and Bloglovin? what do you think?
    let me know I'll follow back for sure
    New post is up on my blog you should have a look :)
    oxoxoxo
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marie! Will check out your blog for sure :)

      Delete
  10. Love a good smokey eye! I like how this isn't too 'black' if you know what I mean! X

    http://aztecdoll.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Zandra! Yeah, I know what you mean- sometimes a brown smokey eye is just the perfect amount of intensity to make it wearable, yet still slightly dramatic. Black smokey eyes can definitely be a bit too much, especially for daytime!

      Delete
  11. I work from home so I rarely wear make-up, but whenever I go out, I put on a soft brown smokey - I've been doing it for so long, I think I can do it in my sleep. Which is not a good thing.:D I have to switch it up. Something with just a colorful liner maybe? I don't know, you're the expert, you tell me. Or better yet show me.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Peet! I accept the challenge! I have a few fun Looks of the Day and tutorials coming up, so hopefully I can share something that inspires you to try something different :)

      Delete
  12. Love the soft smokey look. So beautiful and perfect for the day <3

    GIVEAWAY ON MY BLOG

    xx

    glamdevils

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Mira! Will definitely be re-creating this look next time I want a daytime smokey eye :)

      Delete
  13. Your lashes look so long! I love your shadow, it's just so pretty x
    Gemma | Miss Makeup Magpie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks so much, Gemma! Glad I tried something a bit different for this look, as I was pretty happy with it :)

      Delete
  14. love this pics and also your blog! It's so nice!!! ! I'm thinking, if you want, we can follow each other! It would be great!!
    http://www.borsadimarypoppins.com/
    xoxo Gloria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Gloria! Will check out your blog for sure :)

      Delete
  15. Nice post!!!
    Do you like to follow each other???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paola! Will stop by your blog soon :)

      Delete
  16. Hi! That is one gorgeous look as well as the Oscar Adele inspired look.. :)

    By the way, I just started blogging and found your site.Maybe we can follow each other thru Google friend connect?Let me know or email me at

    cjescuadro@gmail.com :)

    My blog: www.pinayontheloose.com


    ~Like my FB page,Follow me on Twitter,Circle me on Google+ & I'll do the same!

    Promise guys! ;) -CJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks so much for the kinds words and for checking out my previous post as well! Will check out your blog soon for sure :)

      Delete
  17. Hi just found your blog! Ah I love this look, soft and smokey neutrals are an absolute favourite of mine - my favourite palettes to use are the beloved Naked 1 & 2! This make up looks lovely on you and really makes your eyes pop :) Very pretty. Great post!

    If you have a minute, pop over to my blog and say hello? If you enjoy it, maybe we could follow each other? Lucy x

    www.behind-clothes-doors.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the kind words, Lucy! Glad you liked the look! I'm a fiend for eye shadow palettes, so it's amazing that I don't have the Nakeds yet. Sure I'll break down and pick them up soon. Will visit your blog soon as well :)

      Delete
  18. I thought I'd reply to your question here so you'd see it. I did see the Real Techniques brushes at Dufferin Mall two weeks ago so they must have sold out. You can get the full line at Designer Cosmetics which is in the Hudson's Bay Centre at Yonge & Bloor. It's across from the men's Zara.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the tips, Christine! Must have just missed them at the Dufferin Mall, but I'll check out Designer Cosmetics for sure! That's where I get a lot of my nail polishes and NYX products. Can't wait to check them out :)

      Delete
  19. Pretty! Love the gradiation of colors on your eyes!

    Abi
    http://thebelatedbloomer.blogspot.com
    twitter and instagram: @BelatedBloomer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Abi! Glad you liked it :)

      Delete
  20. Really nice look! you look amazing with smokey eyes!
    www.lam-style.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks, Maricruz! Glad I stepped outside the box for this look, 'cause I was really happy with it. Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  21. That is an awesome smokey eye not to heavy perfect for those of us (me) who doesn't wear much makeup . you look stunning.

    xo Meg<3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Meghan! This look would definitely work for someone who wants to try a smokey eye without doing something too dramatic. Glad you liked it! :)

      Delete
  22. Nice look! Love the blush you have on. I might have to make a visit at the NARS counter lol

    http://beautyonrehab.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Deep Throat really is one of the best blushes out there! :)

      Delete
  23. Wow,what a gorgeous look, your eyes are stunning!I'm loving the look of your blog and your attention to detail, following for sure! Thank you for this post!

    http://dancingwithdragqueens.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks so much! So nice to hear that you like the look and are enjoying the blog. Thanks for following! xoxo

      Delete
  24. Wow, you look amazing! So beautiful!
    Thanks for your comment!

    Kisses from Hong Kong,
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  25. The smokey eye is something mainstream but I feel like a lot of times it's difficult to pull off. Maybe it's just me. But anyway, just to tell you you managed to pull off the smokey eye beautifully. Love that look on you and that green touch on the eyebrow is just wow!

    xx, Sandra @Blasfemmes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks so much, Sandra! This look was proof that I should wear looks that are out of my comfort zone more often. As always, I really appreciate all of your kind words and support! xo

      Delete
  26. I adore this eye look! Lovely lovely work!

    http://coquetnoelle.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/topshop-haul.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks so much, Sarah! Glad that you liked the look :)

      Delete

All of your lovely comments make my day! Thanks for taking the time to share your musings, ideas, and opinions. Feel free to leave a link to your blog- I'd be happy to check it out :)