FREE Super Fruits Eye Balm with $130 or more purchase

Sunday 19 May 2013

Veracious Product Review: Lush BB Seaweed Fresh Face Mask

Happy weekend, everyone! And happy long weekend to all my Canadian friends :) Today I share with you a review of a face mask that has recently swept me off my feet. Knight-in-shining-armour-style. Definitely a dramatic statement, but I am a sucker for a good face mask and Lush's BB Seaweed really takes the cake.

To give a bit of a background, I've been a devoted fan of Lush for years. Their Fresh Face Masks have always been an absolute pleasure to use, however the vast majority have irritated my skin and broken me out. Badly. The Fresh Masks are jam-packed full of essential oils and fresh foody ingredients, which is fun and amazing, just not for my sensitive skin. But when I visited Lush a couple weeks ago, I was determined to find a Fresh Face Mask that my skin would be happy with.


I described my skin care woes (combination/oily skin that is acne-prone and also sensitive) to the enthusiastic sales associate and she eagerly passed me a pot of BB Seaweed. She insisted that the formula was lovely to use, super effective, yet specially designed for sensitive skin. My past experience with the Fresh Face Masks left me skeptical, but I snatched it up anyways! And I'm quite glad I did.

As you can see from the photo below, BB Seaweed has a thick, creamy oatmeal-like consistency with strips of green seaweed and a few scrubby bits throughout:


Lush describes the mask as "relaxing and reviving mineral-rich mask to cleanse all skin types" (from lush.ca). It claims that the rose absolute will help improve skin tone, the seaweed will work to moisturize and add nutrients, and that the ground almonds will exfoliate sensitive skins without irritation.  


The ingredient list reveals that the  mask is rich with kaolin, honey, aloe, rose, ground almonds, and seaweed, among other soothing, natural ingredients. Amazingly, it was hand-made less than a week before I purchased it and has a shelf-life of about three weeks. The shortened lifespan can be attributed to the fact that it's 100% natural and preservative-free.



When the mask is first applied, it has a thick, creamy-white consistency with obvious strips of seaweed. Really makes me look like a crazy sea monster! The fragrance is a gentle herbal, rose aroma. Pleasant, but not over-powering. 


As it dries, some of the mask seems to sink into the skin and the base takes on more of a yellow-ish tinge:


When removing the mask, it was definitely more of a scrubby, exfoliating feeling than I expected. My skin is generally quite sensitive to manual exfoliants, so I was worried that my face would be left a red, irritated mess. On the contrary, I was so pleased with how my skin looked afterwards! My face looked smooth, calm, and radiant. The redness in my skin had been all but erased!


Honestly, my skin rarely looks better than it does after using this mask. I've had the same result after each time I've used it (4 times so far), so this wasn't a one trick pony!

Here's a quick breakdown of the pros and cons of this mask:

Pros:

  • Incredibly friendly to my sensitive skin. Even with the scrubby bits, my skin wasn't left irritated or angry
  • Leaves skin incredibly soft and smooth
  • Works wonders to immediately eliminate redness in the skin
  • Fresh, pleasant scent that isn't over-powering
  • Full of fresh, natural ingredients; so fresh, you have to keep it in the fridge
  • At only $7, this is quite affordable. I should get about 6 uses out of the little pot.
  • Cruelty-free! Animal-friendliness is always a plus in my books :)
Cons:
  • The ground almond pieces might be a bit too abrasive for those with ultra-sensitive skin
  • Though the scent is relatively light, this is far from fragrance-free. Might be too fragranced for those sensitive to that.
  • The seaweed bits are quite chunky and a bit of a pain to clean out of the sink.

Overall, I really couldn't be happier with this mask! My combination, sensitive, acne-prone skin is totally loving it. Few masks have given me such instant, dramatic results! So glad I gave the Fresh Face Masks another go. BB Seaweed is a huge winner in my books!

Hope you found the review helpful! Have you tried any of Lush's Fresh Face Masks? Which is your favourite?

Cheers! xo




30 comments:

  1. Great review.. definitely sounds like my kind of mask :)

    http://phlerbler.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It really is lovely! Glad you found the review helpful :)

      Delete
  2. This looks great for sensitive skins, Jen! Wouldn't mind to try it at all... Incredibly I have never tried anything from Lush, yet! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is definitely the perfect mask to try for sensitive skin, as long as you can handle the little scrubby bits. One of the best Lush products I've tried! xo

      Delete
  3. I just made my first ever Lush purchase today actually! Kind of wish it was this now..!

    emmazingbeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for being introduced to Lush! Maybe this will be your next purchase :) Thanks for stopping by! xo

      Delete
  4. I have always considered buying the Lush face masks as my skin is irritated easily by the drugstore packet ones so I'll definitely look into this!

    Kathryn x

    enclosedbeauty.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, definitely a great option if your skin is sensitive! Thanks for dropping by, Kathryn! xo

      Delete
  5. Looks great! I want to try that one next =)

    Would love for you to check out my True Blue Spa giveaway!

    xoxo, Simple Charm Beauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is great! Glad I've inspired you to try it :) Will check out your blog soon! xo

      Delete
  6. I've never been a big fan of Lush, but I'm always on a hunt for a good face mask. Maybe I'll just try this one thanks to your awesome review. Thanks, Jen :)!
    Have a good week :).

    xx
    http://gita-oddsandends.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, glad you found this to be helpful! Lush products can definitely be hit or miss, but I think this one's a winner! Thanks, Gita! :)

      Delete
  7. This is a great review! I love this mask, definitely my go-to when my skin is feeling irritated!


    elliesvanitytable.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Danielle! Glad you're loving this too :)

      Delete
  8. i love your blog shall we folow? let me know XSE
    www.supongoestilo.blogspot.nl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michelle! Will check out your blog soon :)

      Delete
  9. Love this review! I'm a big Lush fan myself, so I might be trying this out too :)

    www.kristianavasarina.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found this helpful! If you love Lush, you should definitely check this out :)

      Delete
  10. That shelf like is pretty short! But better that than slabbing on harsh chemicals, right? I'm not a fan of masks, whenever when I use one, I get 1 to 3 zits on my face - always. Maybe I just haven't found the right one, like you...:) It sucks that we don't get Lush here!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, you have to use this up quickly, but at least you know there aren't any crazy preservatives in it! A lot of face masks have broken me out too, so when I find ones that work, I'm extra happy. This one's made me happy! xo

      Delete
  11. I love face mask pics :-) I haven't tried this particular mask, but I do have Lush's Cosmetic Warrior mask and I love that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think it always helps to show a picture of what the mask looks like on. Always fun, and informative! Cosmetic Warrior is the only other fresh mask that my skin likes. It's super unique! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  12. So glad to hear this works for sensitive skin! LUSH products can be overkill sometimes but I did love Herbalism and Angels on Bare Skin. I just wish these came in smaller tubs considering the short shelf life. I'd be way too lazy to use it all up in time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, many are definitely on the overkill side, so I was extra happy to find that this worked so well! I actually really like the Aquamarina cleanser as well- another good one for sensitive skin! Luckily these pots are smaller than they used to be, so they're easier to use up on time. I've used mine twice a week :)

      Delete
  13. I've never tried their masks before but I was wanting to try this one. Since you've done a review on it, I think I'm going to buy one. I hope it works for me as much as it did for you! Thank you :)

    Caryl x
    http://www.mscaryl.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, glad I've inspired you to try it! Hope you love it! Thanks for stopping by, Caryl! xo

      Delete
  14. I have tried this mask before and it's good. I love lush fresh face mask.

    www.kahfehyen.com

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good one! Glad you liked it too :) Thanks for stopping by, Wanischa! xo

      Delete
  15. great review! :) my skin type is same as yours. can't wait to visit lush and try this product :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Glad I've inspired you to try it. Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete

All of your lovely comments make my day! Thanks for taking the time to share your musings, ideas, and opinions. Feel free to leave a link to your blog- I'd be happy to check it out :)