Thursday, 6 June 2013

Look of the Day: The Anti-Hangover

Hi, everyone! With summertime upon us (and all of the weddings, parties, and pints-on-patios the season entails), chances are you'll be spending a few mornings feeling a bit rough. Whether it be regretting that final glass of wine (or the entire greasy pizza you ate afterwards), wishing for more sleep, or lamenting the fact that you hopped in bed with a full face of makeup, the morning after a night of celebrating can do much to convince us that our bodies really hate us. 

As if feeling like death isn't enough, hangovers can bring with them the joys of puffy eyes, dull, uneven skin tone, and cranky facial expressions. While makeup can't do much to remedy the latter (though it always brings a smile to my face), it can work wonders at making you look much brighter, fresher, and wide awake than you really feel.

A friend of mine got married a couple weeks ago (congrats again, Mel!) and let's just say I wasn't feeling my best the next morning. It could have been much worse (with age comes the occasional exertion of restraint), but I was still left with droopy eyes and patchy skin that seemed to mock me: "You're 30 now! You can't get away with topping off a wedding feast with wine, beer, and tequila anymore". "Pfffft", I wanted to retort, but my sassy inner critic was right. I needed some makeup to freshen things up!

Here's a shot of the finished makeup look:


While it's initially tempting to slather on thick layers of makeup to hide the damage, I find that smaller amounts of strategically-placed makeup can go a long way to make the face look brighter and more awake. I focused on dewy skin, glowy cheeks and eyes, lush lashes, and natural pink-toned lips.


I did go for a fuller-coverage foundation (my trusty Revlon ColourStay) to mask redness, but used a light hand when applying it. I paired it with a creamy concealer to wake up my eyes (the fab BeneFit Fake-Up) and a dewy, coral-toned cream blush to add a glowy flush to my cheeks (Stila Gerbera, so pretty!). I then applied a super sheer layer of mattifying powder just to set things. If your skin isn't oily like mine, you can totally skip this step! The less powder, the fresher things will look!


I kept the eyes super simple, opting for a shimmery beige colour, Clinique Chubby Stick for Eyes in Bountiful Beige, focusing on the centre of the lid and inner corner of the eyes. It brings so much light to the eye area! I paired it with my favourite brown eyeliner (as black can be a bit harsh) and black mascara to further open up the eyes. For lips, I chose Chanel Rouge Coco Shine in Aventure, which is a lovely glowy pink. And voila! I suddenly wasn't looking like I'd had one too many cocktails and not enough sleep the night before!


The Breakdown:

Foundation: Revlon ColourStay Liquid Foundation (Combination/Oily formula) in Buff
Concealer: BeneFit Fake-Up in Light (under eyes) and Hard Candy Glamouflage in Light (on redness and blemishes)
Powder: Hard Candy Welcome Matte Translucent Mattifying Powder (lightly)
Bronzer: Bourjois Delice de Poudre Bronzing Powder #51 (to contour and add warmth to the face)
Blush: Stila Convertible Colour in Gerbera topped with a light dusting of NARS Deep Throat
Highlighter: MAC Eye Shadow in Ricepaper (on bridge of nose and cheek bones)

Primer: Urban Decay Primer Potion in Original
Eye Shadow: Clinique Chubby Stick for Eyes in Bountiful Beige
Eyeliner: Tarte emphasEyes Clay Liner in Brown
Mascara: Clinique Lash Doubling in Black

Lips: Chanel Rouge Coco Shine in Aventure

And a few more shots of the look, in various lighting:

Yes, that's right. I'm in my high school bedroom. Say hello to Hole and the Smashing Pumpkins! :)



Overall, I was really happy with how this makeup look brought some much-needed light and life to my tired face. There's something about looking fresh that actually makes you feel a bit fresher, I think. Fake it till you make it!

So for all you faced with a lineup of parties this summer (and coinciding lines of tequila shots), remember that just a touch of makeup the next day can really do wonders to fool everyone into believing that you were actually a very good girl the night before ;)

What are some of your favourite anti-hangover skin care and makeup tricks?

Thanks for reading! :)

36 comments:

  1. You look beautiful.
    I have never gotten a hangover before so I don't really have any tips and tricks haha.

    Kah-Feh Yen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Wanischa! No hangovers ever? Lucky girl! :)

      Delete
  2. thank u very much :*
    great look! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. great look honey, i really love theese photos and your look!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful! You look so healthy and awake! Wouldn't even guess you would be hungover ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Healthy and awake is what I was going for, so nice to hear that I achieved it! ;)

      Delete
  5. You look so glowy and fresh! I love the lip colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Christine! Chanel Aventure really is lovely :)

      Delete
  6. I totally agree that too much makeup does nothing for hangover face! How do you like that Fake-Up concealer? I have killer under eye circles and I'm wondering how this would work on me.
    THanks!

    Maddy @ www.BeautyBanterBlog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maddy! I've really been liking Fake-Up. It's super hydrating but has good coverage and is also long-wearing. No complaints! xo

      Delete
  7. Great look. It looks so fresh and simple.

    Laura
    www.lauraneuzeth.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely look! You look very awake and fresh! Thank you for following me dear and for your sweet comments!

    xx,
    mashasmumbles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Your blog is great! xo

      Delete
  9. Loving this make up, you look very fresh and lovely xx

    www.lam-style.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. That blush gave you such a beautiful, healthy glow. Two things usually not tied to "Hangover Face", lol. As always, loved this post.

    Jillicious Cosmetics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, as always, Jillian! Stila Gerbera is the perfect anti-hangover blush. It's so pretty!

      Delete
  11. Looks fresh and pretty! My mouth dropped open when you mentioned you were 30-would have never guessed that!

    http://molliepop.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Mollie! You are too sweet :)

      Delete
  12. Haha, love the idea behind this post! You look so radiant and natural... definitely no sign whatsoever of a hangover!

    Ellie | Ellalogy 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phew! Glad to hear the makeup look was successful, because I definitely wasn't feeling my best ;) Thanks for stopping by, Ellie! xo

      Delete
  13. You look so pretty! Radiant and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are really pretty♥
    Blog: AIMEROSE BLOG
    Instagram @aimerose
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you! So sweet of you to say :)

      Delete
  15. Well that's a really useful post :D! I love the look; really fresh and vibrant. And of course, your pretty face <3.

    xx
    http://gita-oddsandends.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heehee, glad you found it useful! Thanks so much for the kind words, as always! <3

      Delete
  16. I should be able to pull at least one trick in my hat, but I don't!!:) But I hate my uneven skin the next day, that's the worst. But some cold water and a really good hydrating cream does tend to help - and then foundation.:D

    Hope you celebrated their union to the fullest and I wish the newlyweds all the best and more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Peet! The wedding day ended up being so lovely. And yes, cold water and a good moisturizer can go a long way the morning after! xo

      Delete

All of your lovely comments make my day! Thanks for taking the time to share your musings, ideas, and opinions. Feel free to leave a link to your blog- I'd be happy to check it out :)