FREE Super Fruits Eye Balm with $130 or more purchase

Tuesday 25 February 2014

Currently Obsessed: Hourglass Ambient Lighting Blush in Diffused Heat

Hi, everyone! Wanted to start with a brief and exciting announcement- Vibrant Beauty Blog is now on Twitter! I'd been a hesitant tweeter for ages, but figured that joining the platform could be a fun new way to interact with all of you. Have been having a blast with it so far! You can follow me via the button to the right or search me @VibrantVVBeauty. Hoping to see you there!

Now onto the main attraction! There has been much buzz in the beauty blogosphere about the release of the Hourglass Ambient Lighting Blushes and I was eager to jump on the anticipatory bandwagon due to the overwhelming loveliness of Hourglass's Ambient Lighting Powders. I strategically innocently stopped by Sephora over the weekend to see if the blushes had come in (I knew they were available online) and I was over the moon excited pleasantly surprised to see that they had! After a brief beauty nerdgasm, I inspected each of the shades and ultimately selected the colour that had been tempting me most, Diffused Heat. Here it is in all its glory:


For the sake of a thorough review, let's take a brief step back. The Ambient Lighting Blushes come in a reflective, glossy taupe box with pale gold lettering:



The box highlights that the formula is free from talc, fragrance, parabens, nanoparticles, and gluten.



The box also includes instructions for application, including the fact that the powder is fragile and must be handled carefully. The back of the box describes the product, stating that the blush offers "seamless, soft-focus colour and a natural radiant finish".


The box also includes a full list of ingredients, which is always a bonus for the informed consumer and those with sensitive skin:


The compact itself is gold, light-weight, and reflective, about two-thirds the size of the Ambient Lighting Powders.



I know I say it a lot, but it's upon opening the compact that the angels start singing. Can you hear them? ;) The Ambient Lighting Blushes have a marbled colour pattern, which mixes a bolder, colourful hue with a more neutral, glowy tone. The pigmented portions represent new, unique blush shades, and the neutral portions are the inclusion of the corresponding Ambient Lighting Powders, which offer various effects on the skin. The product itself is slightly domed and is quite solid in texture.


Hourglass describes Diffused Heat as "a vibrant poppy blush combined with Diffused Light for a subtle halo effect". I would label it the perfect cheery blend of pink, peach, and coral with subtle gold iridescent finish. 

Here are swatches of Diffused Heat on my inner arm (MAC NC15 skin tone). The swatch on the left shows the blush layered heavily, while the swatch on the right is a lighter, more blended application:

Hourglass Ambient Lighting Blush in Diffused Heat (L) swatched heavily and (R) swatched lightly


And here are some shots of me wearing the blush! I applied it to the applies of my cheeks, blending up towards the temples. I layered it rather heavily for the sake of demonstration and because I love a heavy-handed blush look!

Under artificial lighting:




In natural sunlight:


Given the title of this post, I'm sure you've gleaned that this blush is a goody, but I have to say this is one of the most flattering blushes I've ever tried! The texture is sheer, fine, and buildable, which allows for a subtle look or a more vibrant flush, depending on your mood! It also means that it's difficult to over-do things with this blush. Yes, the colour is on the bolder side, but the elegant formula is forgiving of heavy handedness. Diffused Heat imparts a lovely glow to the skin, without any evident shimmer or glitter. Not an easy feat! It applied effortlessly and required minimal blending, plus the wear time was mighty impressive. An all around winner!

I have to really credit Hourglass with this one; they could have rested on the laurels of their Ambient Lighting Powder success, but instead they released a line of blushes every bit as beautiful as their powder counterparts. Well done! I can see myself reaching for Diffused Heat over and over again, especially during the Spring and Summer. It really is a perfect pick-me-up! The only downside I can see is the price, but if you're going to splurge on anything this season, I'd say one of these babies should be it!

Have you tried any of the Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powders yet? Is Diffused Heat  a shade that would catch your eye?

Thanks for reading! xo
 

49 comments:

  1. I couldn't decide between this one and Luminous Flush. I decided on Luminous Flash, but I have a feeling Diffused Heat will eventually make it into my makeup bag. Plus I still want that Ginger Pop Clinique blush you reviewed a few days ago! Oh my.
    nentasfrivolity.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehee, glad I've been enabling you :) I want Luminous Flush too :)

      Delete
  2. The colours of this are so beautiful! I would just stare at it..

    Jodie Marie
    à la Jode.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are! And I have ;) Thanks for stopping by, Jodie!

      Delete
  3. Super pretty on you, dying to pick one of these up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this looks so pretty and fresh on you!! i sort of want these but i think i'm going to be storng and hold off. the formula seems good quality but nothing too unique that i should run out and get them now. but i LOVE that marbling. so pretty.
    Jenn
    A Beautiful Zen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenn! The formula definitely is lovely and that shades, super flattering. Good for you for staying strong!

      Delete
  5. I can't even describe how amazing it looks in you xx

    www.lam-style.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely blush and welcome to twitter!
    But I have to ask you eye lashes look freakin stunning!
    What mascara do you use?
    TarteTanya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tanya! Twitter has been fun so far :) In this look, I was wearing BeneFit They're Real! Such a great mascara.

      Delete
  7. Is it just me or is it weird that it's gluten free... hahah it's not like your going to eat it!! Love the colour though xxx

    Verity | Life of Verity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah, I thought that too! Marketing, I guess! Thanks :)

      Delete
  8. Waahh, pretty! <33
    I always want to try that blush on. Thanks for the review! ^^

    xx,
    Debby
    AMOUR DE MA VIE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debby! They're definitely worth checking out :)

      Delete
  9. Gorgeous shade, I might just give it a try.
    Check out our page, we have a Moschino clutch to giveaway
    http://hunter-rose1.blogspot.com.au/
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Omg those blushes! I've been eyeing them since they came out :)!

    xx
    http://gita-oddsandends.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're sooo worth checking out! Hope you like them too :)

      Delete
  11. No talc, fragrance, parabens, nanoparticles and gluten?? It's basically edible then?:D I love how it looks in the box (marble pattern in a nice touch) and I love how it looks on you, it's obviously a great product, no wonder you heard angels singing.:) And yay for Twitter, I'm already following you.;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes- though I haven't tried that yet ;) Thanks so much for the kind words and for the Twitter follow :)

      Delete
  12. How pretty! I love the way it looks on you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Jen! Great review, I bet you end up buying more! Luminous Flush would look great on you! I bought 5 of the 6 and reviewed them on my blog today!

    Stacey Expat Make-Up Addict
    xxx

    PS stalking/following you on twitter!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! So glad you're loving them too- Luminous Flush is next on my list. And thanks for the Twitter follow :)

      Delete
  14. This looks stunning! Lovely post!

    http://starsandspaceandstuff.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  15. I absolutely love the look of this, it looks so pretty on you! x
    the-finestthings.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ugh I was trying so hard lately not to buy all the makeup stuff but I really need these in my life. This one in particular I have been eyeing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehee, sorry to have enabled you :) They really are lovely!

      Delete
  17. Hi Jen,

    Your review is great. I have a totally irrelevant question.....on your banner image on top, what I the brand of the two bottles (which I assume are lip colors?)?????? I am intrigued by the packaging......thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They're from the Lush Emotional Brilliance line- I'd definitely recommend them :)

      Delete
  18. Thank you very much for such a great review! I've never tried these products, nor heard of them, to be honest, but will remember the brand now. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Glad that I've tempted you and that you found the review helpful : )

      Delete
  19. it looks gorgeous on you! I don't think I can resist any longer!! hehe big hugs <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks, Liss! Hope you love these too :)

      Delete
  20. This is beautiful Jen, I've never heard of this brand before. You look stunning!!

    xx, Sandra @ Blasfemmes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sandra! These blushes are so worth checking out :)

      Delete
  21. I WAS NOT SUPPOSED TO LIKE THESE FOR THE SAKE OF MY WALLET (swatched in-store and was meh at the shade selection but formula is amazing) BUT THIS POST IS MAKING ME RECONSIDER ;-;
    Diffused Heat is GORGEOUS on you!

    Vanessa | Citron and Guavaberry ʘ‿ʘ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehee, you crack me up, Vanessa. Thanks! xo

      Delete
  22. Omg this shade looks so pretty on you! Arg it reminds me of my HG blush from Cargo back in the day but it's discontinued now... Going to check this one out next time I'm at Sephora. Great pictures, thanks Jen.

    ReplyDelete

All of your lovely comments make my day! Thanks for taking the time to share your musings, ideas, and opinions. Feel free to leave a link to your blog- I'd be happy to check it out :)