FREE Super Fruits Eye Balm with $130 or more purchase

Sunday 23 February 2014

Veracious Product Review: Aerin Kaleidolight Palette

As I sit here, I'm feeling pretty patriotic. I'm up at the crack of dawn with seemingly the entire nation watching the Canadian men's hockey team play for the gold medal. Win or lose, days like today work to swell up my national pride. Go Canada!

Olympics aside, I have a lovely makeup product to share with you today! I was at Holt Renfrew a couple of weeks ago, casually peeking at the new Spring offerings. When I walked past the Aerin counter, I literally stopped in my tracks. I'd never purchased anything from the brand and was never intensely interested in their previous offerings. But when I spotted the Kaleidolight Palette, I was instantly mesmerized! It's a unique multicolour face palette with chic packaging and a beautiful, feminine design.


Let's start at the beginning. The Aerin Kaleidolight Palette comes in a soft pink cardboard box with rose gold lettering.


The back of the box features multilingual instructions, which are brief, to the point, and allow you to take some creative license with the palette: "Apply all over face wherever a little light and colour are desired"


It also features a full list of ingredients:





 Upon opening the box, a pretty little pink pouch emerges:


Pulling out the contents of the pouch, a beautiful gilded metal compact is revealed. It looks stunning in the light! Chic, classic, and sophisticated.


The palette opens via a clasp in the front and features the Aerin logo:


Upon opening the palette, six beautifully geometric sections of colour are revealed, some smaller, some more robust in area:


The back of the compact includes a handy map of the shades in the palette:


As you can see, the palette has six slots and five unique shade, as one is doubled. The five hues are:
 
Lavenderlight, a pale, slightly warm lavender pink aimed at brightening the skin
Bronzelight, a mid-tone bronzy brown for contouring or adding serious warmth
Nudelight, a neutral face powder, to balance the more pronounced shades in the palette
Radiantlight, a lighter shimmery golden brown for a sun-kissed glow
Roselight, a warm rosy pink for a pop of colour

The unique thing about this palette is that you can use each shade separately for isolated effects, or you can swirl all five shades together for an overall glow. Quite versatile!

Here are swatches of the five shades on my inner arm (NC15 skin tone):

(L-R): Aerin Kaleidolight Palette shades in Lavenderlight, Bronzelight, Nudelight, Radiantlight, and Roselight

As you can see, all of the shades offer a satin, glowy finish that provide radiance without noticeable shimmer or glitter. I've swatched the shades quite heavily above, but they can also be applied with a lighter touch for a sheerer effect.

Here are some shots of me wearing all of the shades from the Kaleidolight Palette. The only makeup products I'm wearing in addition to the palette are foundation, powder, brows, mascara, and lipstick. The rest of the look is all Kaleidolight!


I first applied Nudelight lightly all over as a setting powder for my foundation. It's a tad dark for my NC15-20 skin tone, but worked when applied with a light hand. I then applied Lavenderlight all over my lid as an eye shadow and Bronzelight in the crease to add some definition to the eye look.


I then applied a tiny bit of Bronzelight as a contour underneath my cheekbones. Next, I swept some of Radiantlight up my cheekbones, onto my temples, along the top of my forehead, and down the bridge of my nose as a glowy bronzer.


I finished the look with a pop of Roselight on the apples of my cheeks for a rosy flush.


I felt like my skin was glowing, which was such a welcome feeling given what a bleak, dreary winter we've been having. It was as if summer had visited!


So you've seen the palette in action; now for a full breakdown of the ups and downs of Kaleidolight:

Pros:
  • Chic, sophisticated, sturdy packaging with a unique, eye-catching design
  • A beautiful selection of shades that coordinate incredibly well together
  • Each shade leaves a subtle, satin glow without any hint of obvious glitter
  • Incredibly versatile- outfits face, cheeks, and eyes effortless. A time-saver for sure!
  • Sheer, but buildable formulas allows you to wear the shades subtly or more intensely
  • Would be perfect year-round for those with medium skin tones and a wonderful summer palette for those with fairer skin
Cons:
  • Some of the shades are a touch too dark for my NC15 skin tone, particularly in winter. Bronzelight is quite a deep brown (more suited as an eye shadow than a bronzer for me) and Nudelight is more suited as a setting powder for those with NC25 skin.
  • Some of the colour sections are particularly small (e.g., Bronzelight), which makes them difficult to apply with a larger, fluffier brush.
  • At approximately $70, this is a splurge for sure!
  • May not be the best choice for those with a very fair or deep skin tone

So there you have it!  My full thoughts of the Aerin Kaleidolight Palette. While it may not be a perfect match for my winter-pale skin, I think this will be the most lovely accessory during the summer months. It imparts a subtle, sophisticated glow and really limits the number of makeup products that you have to reach for. It has your powder, bronzer, blush, and eye shadow covered! I've yet to test the technique of swirling all five shades together, but I can imagine the effect will be lovely.

Overall, I think the Kaleidolight Palette has been a wonderful introduction to the Aerin line. It embodies the brand nicely, with its chic, elegant, and totally functional aesthetic. I'm very happy to have it in my collection!

Can you see yourself using and loving this palette? Any other favourites from Aerin?

Thanks for reading! xo

46 comments:

  1. Stunning in so many ways - everything from the packaging to the shades it's all so feminine and soft, just what you would expect from Aerin :o) Xx

    Makeup by Candlelight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! It's been such a fun palette to use :)

      Delete
  2. oo quite pretty. i was wondering whether you would use the lavender light on your face and i would have done the same and used it on my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, works nicely as a shadow! I've also used it swirled together with all of the shades, which also works well :)

      Delete
  3. I've been waiting for this review :)! This one is soooo chic, I'd just buy it to watch it sitting pretty on my vanity table :D. The shades are gorgeous too, very usable and versatile! You look amazing, as per usual :).
    And go hockey! Our Slovenian team has played pretty well this time, we were all amazed :D!

    xx
    http://gita-oddsandends.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Gita! This one is definitely worth checking out. Fun that you were into the Olympic hockey too :)

      Delete
  4. OMG, that looks so pretty!!! What a great luxe treat! But ya, you have to make sure it's really what you want in terms of colors, so you get your money worth.

    http://jezzdallasmakeup.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jezz! Luxe and super versatile :)

      Delete
  5. Yay, Canada! So happy we won! Beautiful palette!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful palette, I loved the design x

    http://holaflo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Flo! I've really been loving it :)

      Delete
  7. LOL Not going to lie I woke up early to watch the game!
    Then took a nap and here I am 2:30 and still haven't done anything.
    As for the pallet it looks stunning, I have to say the concept behind it is totally cool.
    Sucks its not light enough for us pale skinned gals.
    Lovely review I can't wait to see your thought's on it this summer.
    TarteTanya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! It was an early one, but so worth it :) It is a bit light for wintertime, but in summer it should be perfect, even for fairer skin! xo

      Delete
  8. wow that is quite a splurge! Though, I think the shades looked wonderful on you :)

    www.lilting-grace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, but it's super versatile. Will get lots of use of out it for sure! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  9. cute palette! I really like the shades. They all look great!
    - Andrea
    www.phdfashionista.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. the colours look good on you. Perfect for daytime looks.


    xoxo;
    Glitter DailyBeauty Blog


    Like GD on Facebook
    Follow GD on Bloglovin
    Follow GD on Instagram

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great review! I absolutely love Aerin's packaging, so chic :)

    BeyondBlush

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura! This is my first Aerin product and I'm so happy with it :)

      Delete
  12. You have a great Blog :)
    Want to Follow me Via GFC , Boglovin, Facebook , and Twitter ? I promise i will follow you back. Let me know on my blog after you followed me :)

    Blog: www.arbbeautyblog.blogspot.com
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/ARBBlogofficial
    Twitter : www.twitter.com/arubakhan23
    Bloglovin : www.bloglovin.com/blog/5376301

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  13. hello! I saw your comment on the satorialist about my cat bag, so glad you like it! you can buy it here http://www.tigerlillyquinnshop.com/product/cat-bag xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How neat that that was you! Thanks for the link :)

      Delete
  14. Cute! What do you think of the allocated space for the shadows?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The spaces are a little bit small, especially for the bronzers, but it's still workable. And you can swirl all of the shades together too, which works nicely! xo

      Delete
  15. Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather! I've been loving the palette so far :)

      Delete
  16. This colors are so pretty. *__*

    ReplyDelete
  17. Replies
    1. Thanks, Renata! Glad you found it helpful :)

      Delete
  18. I just found Aerin a few months ago and I love the brand & its style SO much! It's so sophisticated.. Something I'd wholeheartedly splurge on.

    I love how multifunctional this palette is - it looks great on you, even though you're pale. I'm just as pale as you by the way! NC15 can be challenging indeed.

    Now I'm off to browse some more Aerin online & will def. add some things to my Pinterest wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, such a lovely brand! So happy I've finally been acquainted with it. You should definitely check this out :)

      Delete
  19. I’ve never tried anything from Aerin before. I’ve always wanted to but I never seem to have access to it!

    Dejhana | Waite a Little

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So worth it! They sell it at Holts Bloor if you're ever in downtown Toronto :)

      Delete
  20. I've never heard of Aerin before, but I can tell I'd love it based on the packaging alone. It looks like a really great mix of colours, and it's nice to see other options besides the Naked series!

    xo Jackie

    Something About That

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jackie! I've been really happy with the palette so far :)

      Delete
  21. Replies
    1. Expensive, for sure, but it is quite versatile! Like bronzer, blush, powder, and eye shadow all in one! xo

      Delete
  22. always so lovely!
    www.supongoestilo.blogspot.nl

    ReplyDelete
  23. Haha, no beer for me that morning! Just coffee and cheers :) Thanks, Marlen! xo

    ReplyDelete
  24. Bronzelight IS an eyeshadow....it's NOT a bronzer!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Bronzelight IS an eyeshadow....it's NOT a bronzer!

    ReplyDelete

All of your lovely comments make my day! Thanks for taking the time to share your musings, ideas, and opinions. Feel free to leave a link to your blog- I'd be happy to check it out :)