FREE Super Fruits Eye Balm with $130 or more purchase

Thursday 18 September 2014

Bold Lips for a Good Cause: MAC Viva Glam Rihanna 2 Lipstick!

Hi, everyone! While MAC is one of my tried and true, favourite brands, it's inevitable that I look past many of their limited edition collections, as they seem to be released every few days! But one line of products that always piques my interest are new offerings from the Viva Glam collection. For those who aren't familiar, 100% of the proceeds from all MAC Viva Glam products go to the MAC AIDS Fund, helping those with HIV/AIDS all over the world. A wonderful initiative and a cause I am always eager to support!

There have been several lipsticks released in the Viva Glam line, including the original I-VI and those associated with pop icons such as Lady Gaga, Cyndi Lauper, and Rihanna. The latest installment is the sequel from the Rihanna collection, Viva Glam Rihanna 2. This latest release includes both a lipstick and a gloss and I was so happy to bring home the lipstick with me earlier this week!


The Viva Glam Rihanna 2 products come in the most beautiful limited edition packaging. The box is embossed with a metallic red Rihanna autograph graphic and the tube- amazing! I think I literally gasped upon pulling it out of the box. It's made of a thick, firm rubber material (softer than MAC's typical lipstick packaging) in a stunning semi-translucent true red shade with black detailing.




MAC describes the shade as a "warm mauvey silver frost". Upon first glance (and first swatch), it appears to be more of a neutral, shimmery brown.


Here it is swatched lightly, then heavily, on my inner arm (MAC NC15 skin tone). The Frost finish is readily apparent, but you can see that on my arm it does look closer to a true brown:


But on the lips, the mauve tones really do come out! When applied full-on, both purple and silvery undertones come to life, which make this shade really unique!


Here I am wearing Viva Glam Rihanna 2 Lipstick very lightly, applied in a sheer layer over top of lip balm. When applied lightly, it really gives the most beautiful mauvey-brown glow to the lips!


And here are a few shots of me wearing Viva Glam Rihanna 2 Lipstick more heavily. As you can see, the shade is deep and vampy, with a frosty finish. The shade really is a tricky one to pin down, as brown, purple, and silvery tones are all at play.

To take my best hack at it, I'd describe Rihanna 2 as deep mauve-tinged brown with a cool silvery frost finish.




When I first saw swatches of the Rihanna 2 Lipstick, I feared that it would be totally un-wearable on my neutral-warm, fair complexion. The shade was undoubtedly fierce, but I was hesitant. But after trying it on in-store, I was totally hooked! It's perhaps the most unique shade in my collection and is totally spot-on for Fall! The purple/mauve undertones prevent it from totally washing me out and the frosty silver finish actually gives such a flattering glow to the lips. Though this doesn't fall under the "no-brainer-go-with-everything" umbrella (ella, ella), I can definitely see myself rocking it often throughout the Fall and Winter. And with every cent going to charity, this bold, fun lip is extra sweet!

Is this a shade that you would wear? What's you're favourite MAC Viva Glam lip colour?

Thanks for stopping by! xo

17 comments:

  1. iiii dont konw about this one.. a bit too 90's brown for me i think .but i love that you love it ;)

    Jenn
    A Beautiful Zen

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing on you! So glamorous and dramatic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know i think this looks amazing on you! I actually love the mauvey brown look that everyones rocking right now

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look great with this shade of lipstick but I'm not sure if I would wear it on me!
    Fabrizia – Cosa Mi Metto???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that color is stunning!! I have viva glam 2 and it's one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would totally think the same about myself if I saw this shade in person. Usually, the shade is not flattering with my skin tone. But, the way you wear it looks like it could be do-able! Love it!
    xo,
    nancy

    http://www.adoretoadorn.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This lipstick looks so 90's! From the looks of it on other sites it hasn't looked that appealing to me but it looks nice on you! Since you're fair skinned like me, I think I would be open to trying it now :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Jennifer, this actually looks pretty good on you! I don't think it's my thing because it's too metallic, but it is strangely wearable on you :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay, I have one too and Dami bought both colors in the collection - she's obsessed with Rihanna!

    Back to the post, this looks glam on you, I'm not sure how it looks on me but I've been rocking it anyways, coz I absolutely love the color.

    Have a great weekend!
    xx
    5th&6th

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks way better on you than in the tube!! I really do like the MAC Viva Glam packaging in red!

    Stacey | Expat Make-Up Addict xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely color!

    xxx Linsey from POSE-BLOG.com

    You can also check my BLOGLOVIN & FACEBOOK if you like! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Jen,
    after seeing this on your lips, I will make sure to go and order it. Our complexions are close I think and it looks so pretty on you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't think this is a shade I could pull off, but it looks really good on you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved it on Temptalia and it looks different on you and I still love it. I'm glad they went with something different. I want this color x

    ReplyDelete
  15. The lipstick looks so much better on the lips!

    http://beyondthevelvet.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm amazed by how different the color looks applied lightly versus heavily.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yeah, when I saw your photo on twitter, the colour in the tube was terrifying! But of course, you totally rock it, and the mauve tones definitely make it more wearable on the lips!

    ReplyDelete

All of your lovely comments make my day! Thanks for taking the time to share your musings, ideas, and opinions. Feel free to leave a link to your blog- I'd be happy to check it out :)