FREE Super Fruits Eye Balm with $130 or more purchase

Wednesday 9 September 2015

Quickie Review: Revlon Ultra HD Lipstick in Gladiolus

Hi, everyone! My regular readers really get me. They know that I'm the ultra sucker for pretty lipsticks, particularly those that are rich, bold, and bright. A couple months ago, I was incredibly surprised and thrilled when a reader of mine, Sharlie, got in touch with a lovely and generous offer. She told me that she had received Revlon Ultra HD Lipstick in Gladiolus in a gift bag, but due to a sensitivity to one of the ingredients, she could not use it. She said that she thought of me when she saw the vivid shade and offered to send the lipstick my way as a gift! I couldn't not have been more shocked, excited, and humbled by her offer- so thoughtful! I eagerly accepted her gesture and am finally getting around to reviewing this beautiful lipstick. 


Revlon promises that their Ultra HD Lipsticks offer a wax-free, gel-based formula that creates pure, true, smooth colour in a single swipe. It claims intense pigmentation with a lightweight feel. 

The Ultra HD Lipsticks come in clear plastic tubes that let you peek at the shade inside. The length of the lipstick bullet allows you to see the tip of the product even when it's completely wound down. This can be a bit cumbersome (as it's easy to nick the top of the bullet since it doesn't disappear completely), but is quite helpful when purchasing the lipstick or trying to find it in your collection! 


The bullet itself is wider than many lipsticks out there and comes with a sharply cut slanted tip:


Gladiolus is a true stunner of a shade. It's a slightly warmed, saturated red with a rich, satin finish (not too matte, not too glossy). I first saw this shade worn by Emma Stone on the SAG Awards red carpet last year, and it really stuck with me. She looked so glamorous, yet still modern and cool. 

From Getty Images via vogue.com

Here is Gladiolus swatched on my inner arm (MAC NC15 skin tone). The swatch is a single pass of the lipstick only, which highlights that this really is a pigmented formula!


And here is Gladiolus in the context of a completed makeup look! As you can see, the formula is saturated with a satin finish that makes lips look dramatic and lush. 


What's my verdict on this lipstick? It's serious love! I've yet to come across a drugstore lipstick formula this is this pigmented, yet completely lightweight on the lips (just as the brand promises!). The finish is incredibly flattering and the wear time isn't bullet-proof, but is quite impressive. My only minor gripe is that the by-product of such a pigmented, non-matte, smooth formula is that this lipstick does transfer and can smudge a bit if not careful. So yes, a bit higher maintenance than some lipsticks, but so worth it! Definitely eager to snag more of the lovely shades from the Revlon Ultra HD line.

A huge thank you again to Sharlie for sending this lipstick my way! So grateful!

Is Gladiolus a shade that you would wear? Have you tried the Revlon Ultra HD Lipsticks? What's your favourite drugstore lipstick at the moment?

Hope you're having a wonderful week! 

34 comments:

  1. That's such a pretty red, something I really like! Looks gorgeous x

    www.elabellaworld.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this colour, especially in the context of the complete look. Can you provide details about the rest of the look? I have a couple bold shades but I always chicken out when it comes to wearing them out...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charissa- I forget most of what I was wearing, sorry! I believe the eyeliner was Urban Decay's 24/7 in Bourbon- it's a great bronze! I totally think you could rock a red lip like that :)

      Delete
  3. Loving the lip color! I love red lips!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. i heard mixed reviews when these came out so i'm glad you had a good experience with them and what a nice thing for a reader to do!!! i sometimes feel like doing that when a sample hasn't worked out for me but..then i get lazy and never send the thing lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so nice of her to do! So kind and unexpected. I really like the formula! It is a bit higher maintenance- since it's pigmented and moisturizing, but otherwise it's truly great stuff, especially from the drugstore :)

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad you like it! Beautiful review! Thank you so much! -Sharlie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again so very much!! So thoughtful and I absolutely love the colour :)

      Delete
  6. Woah look at that red. So pigmented and bright! It looks stunning on you (and Emma, of course)! So nice of Sharlie to send you the lipstick! :) I haven't tried anything from Revlon for a long time. It needs to change soon. Maybe I'll start with the Ultra HD lipstick! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so nice of her! Love how bold it is and the formula is really great! :)

      Delete
  7. It's such a gorgeous red! Love bold colours on you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so nice dear!

    ** I'm inviting you to join Love, Beauty Bloggers on facebook. A place for beauty and fashion bloggers from all over the world to promote their latest posts!

    VISIT MY BLOG: BEAUTYEDITER.COM

    ReplyDelete
  9. This shade is lovely (and such a you shade haha). I have seen those and couldn't decide (still can't) between peony and orchid. Xx

    Alexandra | Glam O’Clock

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alexandra- I love it! There are so many pretty shades in the range- so hard to decide :)

      Delete
  10. Gorrrgeous. I love Emma Stone, she can do no wrong in my books. The colour really pops on you, it's bold but totally wearable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree- love her personality and her style! Yes, love that the shade is vibrant, but wearable :)

      Delete
  11. I absolutely love this colour on you.
    Glad your liking the formula, I shall give these a try the next time I see them.
    TarteTanya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Tanya! The formula is totally worth checking out :)

      Delete
  12. Oh heck yes, I'd wear this! So nice of Sharlie to send this to you! She is right: this is so very you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so very nice of her! Thanks, Sunny- I think you'd look great in this shade too :)

      Delete
  13. you look so gorgeous! :)
    happy weekend

    http://abdelkhalekleblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. it looks amazing! I want to try these but they're priced ridiculously expensive in my country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, that's too bad! If they ever go on sale, they're so worth checking out :)

      Delete
  15. Unos ocnsejos muy cuidados. Loso colores quedan muy bien en tu rostro
    Decoracion de Interiores

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't tried the Revlon Ultra HD Lippies yet but I love how vibrant it is, the color looks so deep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The formula really is super vibrant and pigmented- so worth trying out! xo

      Delete
  17. Gladiolus looks amazing on you and Emma! (But lets be real, Emma looks good in /EVERYTHING/)
    Ahhhhh, the power of blogging and the relationships that come out of it. Super generous of Sharlie to send a lipstick your way! The claims for this lipstick reminds me of Maybelline's Color Whisperers, which I loved because it was weightless on the lips due to the gel formula. The formula for this looks way more pigmented though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma really does look fab always! It was so nice of Sharlie to do this- so unexpected! Yes, it's really amazing how lightweight and pigmented they are!

      Delete

All of your lovely comments make my day! Thanks for taking the time to share your musings, ideas, and opinions. Feel free to leave a link to your blog- I'd be happy to check it out :)