FREE Super Fruits Eye Balm with $130 or more purchase

Wednesday 13 April 2016

IMATS NYC: A Match Made in Makeup Heaven!

Hi, everyone! I'm fairly certain I've started a blog post with just such a statement before, but let me reiterate: if there are two things in life that forever excite and inspire me, it's makeup artistry and New York City. My eternal muses! So when my beauty blogger buddies proposed the idea of attending IMATS in New York City this Spring, it was an absolute no-brainer. Um, yes- sign me up! If you've been following me on Instagram, you'll know that IMATS New York was this past weekend, and let me tell you- it was a whirlwind of excitement! 

If you're unfamiliar with the event, IMATS is the International Makeup Artist Trade Show, an epic conference that hits up several global cities each year. It features makeup demonstrations and competitions, talks from celebrity makeup artists, and fantastic deals on professional and hard to find makeup brands. I've visited IMATS Toronto twice in the past (get the lowdown here and here), so IMATS New York was the next logical step! 


The event was held at Pier 94, on the west side of Manhattan on the Hudson River. It was a bit of jaunt from our hotel in Chelsea, but luckily the Saturday morning traffic was light and we got there in a flash! Doors were set to open at 9am and we planned our arrival for just after 8am. Long lines are expected, so we woke up early, gulped some coffee, and went for it! Word on the street was that some people arrived as early as 6:30am, which we found to be totally unnecessary. The line was handled super efficiently, so, even though we were a ways back in line, we still made our way into the venue less than 10 minutes after doors opened. 

The wait in line was chilly, thanks to the overcast sky and crisp river air, but Laura and I passed the time by reviewing the venue map, planning our shopping strategy, and playing "guess that lipstick" as new characters joined the line behind us. I also snapped a photo of my IMATS Look of the Day, which drew on some staples: the Urban Decay Naked Palette, Hourglass Ambient Lighting Blush in Radiant Magenta, and Too Faced Melted Lipstick in Melted Berry


Upon entering the venue, we were super pleased to see that the hall was open and spacious, without a crowded mosh pit in sight. It remained this way for at least an hour, which was such a surprise! We were totally expecting to brave hoards of aggressive makeup fiends, but this was not the case. With the exception of a few booths (Morphe and Anastasia, for example), the lines were totally manageable and accessible. Even more so than in Toronto! 

My first stop after entering was the Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics booth, which was featuring their new, utterly stunning Magnetic Fields Spring collection. They were selling their iconic Lip Tars and Cosmetic Colour Pencils for only $10 each (normally $16 USD), to my total delight. 



Although I didn't end up spending any money at the booth, I was eager to check out Sugarpill, who offers amazing bright colours with a fun, defiant attitude. They were selling limited edition pigments and lipsticks, as well as a full range of bold eye shadows. 



My  next stop was an utter delight, the Besame counter. Besame is known for their iconic shades of red lipstick (in addition to a full range of products) and vintage aesthetic, which are completely up my alley. The booth was set up like a 1940s boudoir and the sales reps looked right out of a glamorous time warp. I loved it! 


Their lipsticks were selling for $20 (regular $22 USD) and I could not help but swatch nearly all of them. Each was more stunning than the last. So rich and pigmented! Truly a red lipstick lover's dream. 



I then wandered up to the Violet Voss booth, which featured two separate tables- one showcasing the brand's iconic glitters and lashes, the other housing their newer, instant cult favourite eye shadow palettes and highlighters. The shadow palettes were being offered for $42 (matching a current sale on the brand's website) and the highlighter trio for $25. Or, you could buy all three for $100. Not a bad deal at all!  


I was also eager to stop by the Mehron booth, who features an impressive range of both functional neutral palettes and ultra-vivid brights. 


As with IMATS Toronto, there were several amazing makeup demonstrations in progress throughout the venue. There was this stunning glittery hair at the Make Up For Ever Academy...


... this bat girl undergoing a metamorphosis...


... and this stunning stark white face paint, just to show a few! 


And of course the day was made extra special since I was accompanied by some lovely ladies! Here is some selfie time at the Beautylish booth with Chelle:


... and some serious posing time with Chelle and Shawna. Our trip troupe also consisted of Julie, Laura, and Laura's lovely friend Elaine. They all made for fantastic travel companions and fellow makeup geeks :)



Other vendors of note were Lime Crime, whose divisive reputation is matched only by the bold, colourful attire of its employees...


... and online vendor Beautylish, who was solely featuring Natasha Denona cosmetics at the show. A wise move on their part, as the brand has gained instant fame due to the intense pigmentation of their eye shadows and even more intense price tags. Their large eye shadow palettes have a payment plan option! But I have to say, the shadows were even more lovely than I expected. I could have swatched them all day! 


My IMATS New York experience was capped off in the most magical of ways- my ultimate makeup artist Lisa Eldridge, who was the keynote speaker of the conference, conducted a Q and A, followed by a book signing. This was such a thrilling experience for me that I won't be covering it here, but rather be writing a whole separate post about it. Keep your eyes peeled for a Lisa Eldridge x IMATS post very soon! 


I hope you enjoyed this IMATS New York recap- I could not have asked for a better marriage of my passions. Makeup artistry mania set up with a NYC backdrop really is a dream come true! 

My next several posts will be all about our trip to New York- it was such a packed, exciting weekend that there's lots to share! 

Hope you're having a wonderful week :)

                                            Bloglovin'|Facebook|Twitter|Instagram

18 comments:

  1. omg payment plan!!! that's ridiculous LOL!!! i watched Tati's youtube about those palettes and they seem sort of meh to me. at least over all. so i don't think i'll be putting money down on those and you know how i love to try all the shadows!

    this looked like such an awesome time! i will have to go with you guys next time (and somehow hide all the things i buy when i come back)... bring half a suit case..come back with a full one :P

    oh man, there were have been so many awesome things to see for this (this makes me wonder if i should try for the LA one). its surprising it wasn't crazy at all and that you got in relatively safely and quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I laughed at the payment plan. But the 5-pan palette I bought really is impressive! So glad I snagged it :) Would be so fantastic if you could join us next time! xo

      Delete
  2. You got some GREAT shots! And I cannot wait to see your Lisa Eldridge recap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! Was happy that I managed to snap some shots amidst the excitement of shopping and Lisa ;)

      Delete
  3. Your eye make-up looks so lovely and that colour lipstick suits you so much :) xo

    Emily | emsalice.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks so much! Too Faced Melted Berry is definitely one of my all-time faves :)

      Delete
  4. Looks like you guys had an awesome time! I have never been to an IMATS. The closest one would be Vancouver, and maybe someday I'll make the trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really did! IMATS has always been such a fun experience for me- it would be great if you could make it to Vancouver :)

      Delete
  5. ahh i wish i could of gone to imats!

    http://www.carolinapinglo.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully you will one day! It's so much fun :)

      Delete
  6. AHHHHHHH!!! Dream come trueeee! NYC IMATS must be such a blast! I was drooling over your photos - I cannot wait to see your trip round up and see what you bought!

    Stephanie | theFantasia.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it really did feel like a dream come true! So happy I was able to go :)

      Delete
  7. I absolutely LOVE your lipstick! I would love to go to IMATS - sounds and looks amazing! xx

    Beautylymin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Too Faced Melted Berry is one of my all-time faves! You should totally go to IMATS one day- it's so worth it in my opinion! ox

      Delete
  8. I loved reading about your experience at IMATS! I was working it (The crazy Anastasia booth-ha ha) but I'm glad to hear that your experience was a positive one. And you got to meet one of your makeup idols! SO neat :)

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow- you must have been ultra busy! The Anastasia booth was intense! I really did have a wonderful time, thanks! xo

      Delete
  9. Here the lighting is a little brighter than lounge setting, and you can sit at one of their many tables, or grab a seat by the bar. With a large menu of beers, you might have trouble picking just one. The music at Chicago venues is always upbeat with a mixture of rock and pop, and the food menu is large as well as their seating.

    ReplyDelete

All of your lovely comments make my day! Thanks for taking the time to share your musings, ideas, and opinions. Feel free to leave a link to your blog- I'd be happy to check it out :)